This article or section refers to elements from one of the Dune computer games.
Dune IV is a remake of Dune II that can run natively on Windows. The game was developed in 2003-2004 with some updates later; as of 2014 last version is 1.028, June 2011. It is now freeware, though initially a non-free unlocker was needed for some campaigns.
Dune IV has mostly the same gameplay of the original game, but adds a modern interface, including multiple unit selection and building pipeline. It grabbed the original graphics, but many sounds are new (voices are in russian or in english with a little slavic accent). The most notable differences in gameplay are:
- Barracks have an additional function, they raise the maximum number of units that the player can produce.
- Ornithopters and carryalls can float in midair and are fully controlled by the player like other units.
- Repair facility only repairs turrets.
- Starport no longer buys units.
- Only the first spice refinery includes a harvester.
Five new campaigns are available (two Atreides, Harkonnen, Ordos, Fremen). Multiplayer over LAN allows battles with up to 8 competitors on predesigned scenarios. The game includes a scenario editor.